Want to stop your eyes from burning each time you have to use Snapchat? Try Snapchat dark mode! Dark mode is an awesome feature on both iPhones and Android devices. Mostly because it helps avid phone users reduce the glare from their devices when they use apps.
The harsh blue light/ bright light from your device can cause eye strain and make it difficult to fall asleep. Hence the importance of dark mode.
You should know that there’s no official dark mode support for Snapchat on Android devices. Although the dark mode feature is scheduled to be rolled out for Android users, there is no set date for its release.
iPhones on the other hand, have a built-in option to switch from a light mode to a dark mode. The iPhone’s dark mode doesn’t only prevent eye strain, but it prolongs battery life, too.
However, if you use the Snapchat app on your Android phone, we’ve got you covered here. We will discuss a neat workaround that allows you to force dark mode support on your Android app.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at how to enable dark mode on Snapchat.
How to enable dark mode on iPhone
Enabling the official dark mode feature on iPhones is easy. The dark mode option can be accessed directly inside the Snapchat app. iOS users can easily switch between light mode and dark mode without any hassle. Here is how iPhone users can access the Snapchat dark mode option on their devices.
- Tap the profile icon or Bitmoji icon on the top left corner to access your profile page.
- After the page pops up, tap the settings gear icon on the top right corner of the screen to access more options.
- Look for the “My Account” section and find “App appearance.” Tap on it to change the Snapchat theme.
- Inside the “App appearance” menu, select “Always dark.” This enables Snapchat dark mode feature on your iPhone.
The app appearance method isn’t the only way you can have dark mode enabled on Snapchat. Alternatively, you can use the match system to sync Snapchat with the light theme and dark theme of your device. Here’s how.
- Open Snapchat and click on your profile avatar.
- Select settings and scroll to “My Account”>>”App appearance”.
- Select “Match system.” Once selected, Snapchat will now match your theme to suit the theme of your iOS. Your phone’s light or dark theme would now control the look of your Snapchat.
Automate Snapchat App Theme on iPhone
You can automate the dark mode on Snapchat for your iPhone. This way you do not always have to manually turn on the Snapchat dark mode each time it is needed. Your phone will switch between light and dark themes depending on the time of the day and your app will follow suit. Ensure the match system is turned on inside Snapchat before you start this process.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone, scroll down to the “Display and Brightness” menu and click on it.
- Toggle “Automatic” on and select “Options”.
- Set the times you want to use the iOS light theme and when you want to use the dark theme. You could also set your iPhone theme to alternate between sunrise and sunset. Once set, Snapchat will automatically change modes based on your phone’s theme.
With any of the methods we have outlined above, you can now use dark mode on Snapchat easily. Choose the best dark mode method you want and begin enjoying the app in a dark theme.
How to Force Dark Mode on Android
Android users can enable dark mode on the Android app by accessing developer mode. The dark mode feature is only available in the beta version, and they aren’t taking any new sign-ups right now. The option to enable dark mode is not provided by the developer natively.
Hence, you would have to use a forced dark theme to enjoy this feature. Here are the steps to switch your Snapchat Android app from a light theme to a dark theme.
- Access your settings menu from either your notification bar or app tray.
- After clicking on Settings, scroll down to “About Phone”
- Select “Software information.” Scroll to the bottom and look for the “Build number.” Tap on the build number five or six times to enable developer mode on your Android.
- Go back to the main Settings menu of your android device and search for developer options. Toggle the developer options switch on to access its contents.
- Scroll to the “Hardware accelerating rendering” option and Toggle “Override force-dark” on. The Override force-dark would force a dark theme across all apps including those without the dark theme support.
If you have the latest version of the Snapchat app installed, this process may not work. You may need to re-install an older version of the app to force dark mode. This involves downloading the app from third-party websites outside the Google Play Store.
Alternatively, you could decide to use third-party apps to enforce dark mode on Android. You should note that not all Android devices support the use of these apps. Furthermore, dark mode on Snapchat may not be available through these apps depending on the version of Snapchat you are using.
Benefits of Using Dark Mode in Snapchat
The blue light from your phone is quite unhealthy for your eyes, according to tons of published new research. On average, you spend about sixteen hours on your phone daily. Think about that! Constant exposure to this harmful blue light could cause eye strain and have other negative consequences for your eyes.
Furthermore, it is advisable for people with previous eye defects or conditions to use modes that are easier on their eyes. Bright light could also affect your sleeping pattern. Hence, it could be in your best health interest to put the app on dark mode, especially if you use it a lot.
It saves your phone’s battery and prevents it from running out faster. Darker themes require less light to display which makes it less battery-consuming. This feature is even more pronounced on OLED screens. Switching from a light theme to a dark theme could save you a few hours of battery life.
Dark mode is great if you want to use apps in public spaces. Mostly because it’s less distracting. A bright phone screen in a cinema is borderline impolite.
Using Snapchat in dark mode allows you to use the app around other people without visually distracting them. Whether you’re in the bed with a family member or out with friends, you can use Snapchat without any hassle.
Why is Forced Dark Mode not Working on my App?
If you are using the latest version of Snapchat on your Android, forced dark mode will not work. You need to uninstall the latest version from your device and install an older version for it to work.
Older versions of Android apps can be found on third-party websites. However, you should not download apps from websites you do not trust to prevent malware and viruses from infecting your device.
Why Can’t I Find Dark Mode on my Snapchat?
Dark mode is not available for Snapchat Android users. If you use an Android device, you will have to use the workarounds we have provided above to enable Snapchat dark mode.
For iOS users, ensure that your app has been updated to the latest version. Older apps do not have the dark mode option. If you have the latest app installed, follow our steps above to activate dark mode in your Snapchat settings.
When Will the Official dark mode for Android be Released?
There is no official release date for Dark mode on the Snapchat Android app. The Dark mode feature is currently in the beta version phase and only a few select people have access to it. For more information on dark mode for Android, follow the official social media pages and check the Snapchat website.